Saturday, May 5

Cinco de Mayo -- Part 1

It's Cinco de Mayo y'all!!! :)

Honestly, I can't say I've ever celebrated the day. But now I have two little ones that are learning everyday and absorb so much that I find myself spending lots of time on the computer to look up activites and things to do with them to help them know more. So as Cinco de Mayo started approaching, I thought it would be a fun day to show my girls something new. I also started thinking about doing something in honor of the day because with Kyleigh being in Kindergarten this year, they have spanish as one of their weekly 'Specials'. So with her being tracked out and this Mexican holiday coming up, what could I do to celebrate the day in a kid-friendly way?

I got to searching on-line.

I narrowed the choices down to a couple food recipes and a couple crafts. Yay! :)

After naptime, I got the girls in the kitchen with me. My girls are practically addicted to hot chocolate so I thought a fun this to make would be some:

Mexican Hot Chocolate



First thing I did, was to measure everything out so that the girls could easily add the ingredients in as we needed them.


  • 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate ( 2 1oz squares)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 Tbsp heavy cream
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 Tbsp granulated sugar


      In a saucepan over low heat (and I mean LOW, like, as-low-as-you-can-go-without-turning-the-burner-off low), whisk together the unsweetened chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon and cream. Stir CONSTANTLY until the chocolate has completely melted.










       Slowly, add in the milk while still stirring constantly until it is well combined.

      Let it stay warm over LOW heat -- DO NOT let it BOIL!!!









      Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until foamy. Now, slowly add about a quarter of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture while stirring what? Constantly, you got it. ;) We do it this way to bring up the temperature of the eggs slowly to avoid scrambling them. Scrambled egg yolks in hot chocolate?? Eeew. 






      Pour the egg & chocolate mixture back into the saucepan with the chocolate and milk mixture while stirring constantly. What else?? ;)






As close to frothy as I could whisk it. :)





      Whisk until the mixture is frothy. Serve immediately and enjoy!






 Mexican Hot Chocolate

Thing 1 tried it aaaaaaannd....
.....it was gooooooooood.





Thing 2 tried it aaaaaaaannd....






.....it was also goooooooooood.













To be continued...with crafts and Mock Margaritas!! :) Y'all come on back now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

Foodie Blog Roll Ad