Friday, January 14

Dessert of the Week-- Triple Chocolate Fudge Brownies

Is anyone else as tired as I am this week? I can't explain why, but I am just ready to lay in bed in some comfy clothes and sleeeeeeep. Anyway, aside from wanting sleep, I've also had an incurable craving for major chocolate. The cravings happen every so often and there is either a) never chocolate in the house or 2) nothing is chocolate-y enough. I've tried making my own Sea Salt Brownies before and, while they were good, they couldn't satiate that sweet tooth. I am proud to announce that a cure has been found and satisfies even the most severe of us chocoholics--I couldn't finish the piece I had cut for myself and Kyleigh didn't finish her piece either, that's how I know. :)

I went into the kitchen with the notion of wanting to use the different forms of chocolate I found in my baking cabinet. (I say found because I finally got around to cleaning it out.) I wanted to use one of the boxes of unsweetened baking chocolate, cocoa powder, and milk chocolate chunks--triple chocolate. Though the name given to this recipe may seem repetitive and redundant (yes, thank you all you English majors who have pointed out that both of those words mean the same thing--I did it on purpose :p) the texture of the brownie when it came out was very fudge-like., which happens to be how I like it best.






Triple Chocolate Fudge Brownies
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      1/2 tsp baking powder
      1 tsp table salt
      1/4 tsp chili powder
      4 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
      1 cup granulated sugar
      1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
      4 egg yolks
      5oz unsweetened baking chocolate squares
      14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
      4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
      4 Tbsp half & half (do not use fat-free)
      2/3 of a bag of milk chocolate chunks
      1/4 tsp kosher salt, topping


  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a square 9-inch baking pan and set aside.
  In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, table salt, chili powder, and the cocoa powder. Whisk until it is well combined, and then set aside.




  In the bowl of a stand mixer, which is fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg yolks at medium speed until they are a soft yellow color and a creamy consistency. Set aside, but keep nearby.






  In a double-boiler, or a make-shift double-boiler: a metal mixing bowl set over a pot of boiling water but not touching the water, melt the unsweetened baking pieces over medium heat with the sweetened condensed milk. Use a whisk and stir constantly until smooth. Whisk in the butter, granulated sugar, and dark brown sugar until the butter is completely melted and the sugars are well incorporated--the texture will seem grainy or sandy.




  Remove the bowl from heat and stir in the flour mixture, egg yolks, and creamer. Stir until the flour mixture is completely combined.






  Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Spread so that it is even.
  Sprinkle the chocolate chunks onto top of the batter and use your hands to gently "squish" them down into the dough. Sprinkle the 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt overtop.






  Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. Cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
  Cut up and enjoy with a tall glass of milk! Yumm!!









2 comments:

  1. I think its the post holiday blues - I'm feeling the same way. Maybe I'll make the brownies and see if they're a cure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo much chocolate...yumm :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It

Foodie Blog Roll Ad