Thursday, November 11

Super Food Friday

The theme for the upcoming 'Super Food Fridays': Super Foods for Kids

    When it comes to our children, we only want the best. They definitely don't make it easy on us and we bump heads on an almost-regular basis. Among others, one of the struggles that often stands out is when it comes to eating. I can remember wanting the sweet stuff, or what we as kids called "the good stuff". I grew up in a house devoid of a lot of sugary...well, anything. I was often teased for being the only kid in the cafeteria with whole wheat bread, milk in my thermos, and bananas in my peanut butter and jellies. On the other hand, thanks to my nutritionally aware parents, I developed a taste for the healthier foods. While I now enjoy not only the taste but also the satisfied feeling that comes with eating whole wheat bread, my husband does not. So we've made little compromises here and there. We eat white wheat bread and lean ground turkey (in place of ground beef). But I want to know which foods pack the most punch to insure my girls are eating the best they can...or what I can get them to eat.
    Each Friday will feature a new super food and my cooking that day will be centered on that particular food. A lot of websites have a '10 Best Foods for Kids' list. What is funny is how some don't overlap at all. So instead of comparing these lists, I'm not going to limit myself with a number. I will instead combine them for a master list! I will share my recipes and findings and I hope you will share your recipes too!



  • Blueberries/Berries
  • Tofu (this has contradictory findings)
  • Tomatoes
  • Low-Fat Greek Yogurt
  • Cabbage
  • Salmon/Tuna Fish/Fatty Fish
  • Cocoa (am I ever excited about this one!)
  • Black Beans
  • Basil
  • Cinnamon
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Broccoli
  • Whole Grains
  • Cheese
  • Yogurt
  • Milk
  • Eggs
  • Beef
  • Chickpeas

Sources:
EHow.com (this correlates with Parenting.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

Foodie Blog Roll Ad