Saturday, April 7

Something New Saturday

     Since Nate is home on the weekends, I usually try to save the new time- and/or labor-intensive recipes for these days. It's a lot easier to focus on what I'm trying to do in the kitchen if someone is in the house with me to keep an eye on the kids.

     This weekend I wanted to try making a meatloaf again. I've tried making this only twice before--and the hubby and I have been together for nearly 7 years now. I know guys like meatloaf, and mine is no exception, but I have a hard time handling raw meat and meatloaf is one of those things ya gotta get down 'n dirty with. But I put my big girl pants on, and did it...sort of....I may not have actually touched any of the meat with my bare hands. Though I'm sure combining the meat with everything else would have been a whole lot easier if I had just used my hands.

     Anyway, so I did a little "research" first. I looked at a bunch of different meatloaf recipes and found a lot of things they all had in common. So I started with those and built on that. I did use my own meat mix because I had had the idea and it was something I really wanted to try. When it was done, it tasted fabulous! And oh-so-moist! Mmmm

Meatloaf
makes 8 servings, 14 pts+ per serving


  • 1 lb ground beef (I used 85/15)
  • 1 lb ground pork
  • 2 c. plain breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 c. ketchup
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 c. molasses
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp rubbed sage
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 c. spicy brown mustard
  • 1/2 c. light brown sugar, packed


      Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large loaf pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
      Combine all ingredients (except the meats and breadcrumbs) in a really large mixing bowl. Whisk it all together. 
      Then mix in the meats and breadcrumbs.
      Squish the mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
      Bake at 375 degrees F for 60 minutes; until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees F.
      Remove the dish and spread a tomato sauce over the top. Give it all a few minutes to rest. Then slice it up and enjoy!

     This is one of those things that I'm sure you could make a lighter version of, but it wouldn't be as satisfying. I know that 14 PointsPlus seems like a lot per serving, but this dish is worth every point. And when you pair it with fresh steamed veggies like broccoli or green beans (which don't add any additional points), you end up with a nicely rounded meal for only 14 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

Foodie Blog Roll Ad