Sunday, September 2

Homemade Christmas Gift #1



Hi everyone! Can y'all believe it's September already??? Sheesh The year is going to be over before we know it!

     So the last 3 weekends, I've been knitting a scarf for a Christmas gift. I had started making one last year but stopped because I thought I had messed up...and now the girls use it for their dolls as a blanket. :) But my mom saw it and really liked the color (it's purple) and wanted to know why I didn't finish it so she could have it. haha

     I kept it in the back of my mind that my mom like the chunky yarn and the width of the scrapped scarf. When I realized that Christmas is starting to approach and I need to start thinking about gifts, I went to AC Moore to find a similar yarn. I finished it today after making it my weekend project for three weekends...and while waiting in the carpool line at Kyleigh's school. :)


     I bought 2 skeins of Lion Brand Yarn Silky Twist in amethyst. It's a 6 super bulky yarn and I used a pair of size 10 bamboo needles. I cast on about 18 stitches and then knitted alternating rows of knit stitch and purl stitch. After about 4 inches, I'd reverse the pattern. While it is hard to see because of the chunky yarn, it is subtley interesting to the eye. The scarf ended up being 71 inches long, using one and two-thirds of the skeins. I wanted it to be long enough to wrap around the neck once and still have it hang down a fashionable length.

My models are in bed (asleep? nah, probably not) so I had to find something else to model the new scarf. Abby's penguin pillow pet seemed up for the job. :)

A little closer up of the scarf.

Here's the scarf layed out. I don't know if you can see it too well, but you can kind of see stripes across the scarf. That's where I changed up the patterns of the rows. I think it keeps the scarf visually interesting. I'm excited to give it as a Christmas gift!  The yarn is soft and the scarf is very warm and will be great for the winter.



     Now...what should my next knitting project be?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

Foodie Blog Roll Ad