Monday, January 21

Freezer Cooking -- Pasta Bake!


     Last week I had planned on making a double batch of baked pasta to have one for dinner that night and freezing the other for another night. But the scheduled day came and that day my oldest was home sick from school and no one was in the mood for pasta. We were feeling like having pancakes…so we had leftover pancakes for dinner. But I still wanted to make the pasta so it would be ready for another time.

     First I started another batch of bread. (It really is wonderful – I promise I’ll do a post on this soon!) While the bread is doing it’s thing, I go ahead and get a pot of water boiling. Then I cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.

     While the pasta is cooking up, I go ahead and grab two bowls and empty a can of diced tomatoes into each. Then I add in the spices: pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, ground mustard, and salt. And then it gets all stirred up with a fork.

     When the pasta has finished cooking, then drained, and given time to cool, I separate them (as equally as possible) into the two pans that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.


I take another bowl and whisk one egg then pour that over one pan of pasta. I do the same with the second egg and second pan of pasta. I use a fork to try and stir the pasta around to get coated as much as possible.

     Now it’s time to pour the bowls of tomato over the pans and try to spread it around to give it an even layer on top.
 
     Then I go ahead and sprinkle the shredded cheese and some Parmesan cheese overtop both pans.

     Lastly, I cover them with tin foil and label them “Pasta Bake – Thaw and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour”.


And into the freezer they go! I can’t wait to see how it turns out! J

 

Pasta Bake

Adapted from recipe found on EatingOnADime.com
 

1 lb spaghetti
2 cans diced tomatoes
½ tsp ground pepper, divided
1 tsp dried oregano, divided
1 tsp garlic powder, divided
1 ½ tsp onion powder, divided
2 tsp dried basil, divided
½ tsp ground mustard, divided
 
¼ tsp salt, divided
2 eggs
1 ½ c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Sprinkling of Parmesan cheese
2 9x13 tin pans
 
1)      Cook pasta according to package directions.
2)      While pasta is cooking, spray the disposable pans with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
3)      When the spaghetti is finished cooking, drain and allow to cool.
4)      While the pasta is cooling, pull out two small bowls. Pour a can of tomatoes into each bowl.
5)      To each bowl, equally add in the spices. Stir them up to combine it all together.
6)      Once the pasta has cooled, divide it equally into the two pans.
7)      In a separate bowl, whisk one egg and pour over one of the pans of noodles. Repeat with the other egg and other pan of pasta.
8)      Stir the noodles and egg together to try and coat the noodles as best as possible.
9)      Pour each bowl of tomato mixture over each pan. Top each pan equally with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese overtop of both pans.
10)   Cover the pans with tin foil and label – “Pasta Bake – Thaw and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour”.
11)   Toss ‘em in the freezer!
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

Foodie Blog Roll Ad