Monday, December 6

25 Days of Christmas in Cookies

Day 6: Maple Cream Cookies
      Found on the blog Sweet Pea's Kitchen





    While I was doing my cookie search, I stumbled upon Sweet Pea's Kitchen and some maple cookies. The words 'maple' and 'cookie' appearing in the same sentence piqued my curiosity. So I read on. Turns out, these are similar to some maple cookies I grew up with! My mom still brings these cookies back for me when she takes trips to visit family in Canada. That's right, I am referring to the wonderfully delicious Canadian Maple Cookies. But how sad is it that I only get to indulge once every couple of years? Imagine my excitement to learn I can make these in my very own kitchen! Naturally, this recipe became a must-try and I was sure to fit it in the early days of the 25 Days of Christmas in Cookies. 
    After making these cookies today, of course I wasn't about to wait until after dinner to give 'em a try. Well, they didn't live up to my expectations but I believe it was something I did. So I will be giving them another try. The issues I had were: 1) a very crumbly dough that made it difficult to roll out, cut up, and re-roll the scraps; 2) the recipe I followed had a baking time of 8 to 10 minutes but when the timer went off after 8 minutes, the edges weren't golden, but a crispy dark brown. :( I don't really like crispy cookies, especially when we are talking cookie sandwiches; 3) and this is a very minor issue that is easily remedied, but the filling recipe doesn't make enough for all of the cookies the recipe produces, so I will be doubling the recipe...which I did do here for you. Like I said, I'm going to give it another go some other time and see how it turns out. If you try them first, please let me know how it worked for you. Thanks!





    2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 large egg
    2 tsp maple extract
    8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
    2 cup confectioner's sugar
    4 Tbsp maple syrup


  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.



 

 In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 
the butter, granulated sugar, and brown 
sugar until it is light and fluffy. 





















Add the egg and maple extract. Beat at 
medium speed until it is all combined. 


























Beating at a low speed, add the 
flour mixture, in small increments, 
until it is just combined.














  Divide the dough into two balls and flatten each ball into a disk. Wrap each in plastic or put in individual freezer bags and chill for at least 1 hour.


  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets and set aside.


  Remove one package of dough from the refrigerator and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out until it is about 1/4- to 1/3-inch thick. (While a maple leaf cookie cutter is appropriate, I don't have one and my theme for the month is Christmas, so I went with a star.) With whichever cutter you decide, cut out your cookies and place them on the prepared cookie sheets.






The 'too-crisp' version; after 8 minutes.












  Bake at 375 degrees F for 6 to 8 minutes, just until the edges start to brown. Be careful because these cookies start to burn very quickly and will become quite crispy. 


What I was aiming for; after 6 minutes.


  Cool on the sheets for a couple minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to allow them to finish cooling.


  Meanwhile, it's time to make the filling! Cream the butter in a stand mixer. Add the confectioner's sugar and maple syrup and beat until it is smoothly combined.



  Once the cookies are completely cooled, make some cookie sandwiches! Beware, this have a tendency to disappear faster than you can sandwich them! ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It

Foodie Blog Roll Ad