Tuesday, December 7

25 Days of Christmas in Cookies

Day 7: Molasses Cookies
     This recipe comes from my Grandmaman passed to me by my Mom.





    My mom has been baking these cookies for longer than I can remember. They are so scrumptious, and go so well with coffee, that my dad still talks about them--and my parents have been divorced for nearly ten years. Yes, they are that good! My husband described them as mini-cakes--he's not really a molasses person. Though his description isn't that far off. My grandmother's molasses cookies have a slightly crispy outside with a soft, fluffy, moist inside. Cookies for breakfast? Why not! These are a great complement to your morning cup of joe. 



    2 1/2 cup flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cup shortening
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup molasses
    1/2 cup strong tea, cooled


  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets and set aside.
  Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
  In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the shortening until it is creamy. Beat in the sugar, egg and molasses until it is all combined, about 2 minutes.



  Add the cooled tea. 


















After adding the tea, the 
mixture will look as if it is
separating but no worries--
all will be well once the 
flour is added.








Then add the flour.











And beat until it is combined.



















  Drop rounded teaspoonfuls on to the greased sheets.




  Bake at 375 degrees F for 12 minutes. Let sit on the sheet for a minute or two then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. 
  Enjoy with either a glass of milk or a nice cup of coffee. ;)


 *I am sorry for being behind in my posting. My 4-year-old and I are under the weather and while she has beaten it, I have yet to kick it. We are baking our cookies, just not posting. Hay, a girl can only do so much. ;)











1 comment:

  1. Looks like your' busy making all those yummmy cookies every day, till Christmas.
    Love the mollasses cookies...so perfect, and all your other cookies, as well.
    Interesting idea for the molasses cookie, to add cooled tea. This recipe is a keeper.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It

Foodie Blog Roll Ad